Saturday, July 23, 2005

readings

I have been indulging myself these days by spending most of my time in the Library. I have finished reading Erich Fromm's 'To Have or To Be' (1974), as well as part I of Danish Existentialist Soren Kierkegaard's 'Training in Christianity' (1850), written under the pseudonym "Anti-Climarcus."

I have also tried to read as much Chinese writings as possible. I have finished reading a collection of Professor Chun-I T'ang's essays, written back in the 30s, when he was still a young man. Other than that, I have also read Part III of Yangming Wang's 'Dialogues.' (compiled by his disciples after the Neo-Confucian philosopher, statesman and soldier's death in 1529.)

In the meantime I have also come across Professor George Lamsa's single-handed translation of the Bible. The version Lamsa based his translation on is the Aramaic version, which is the earliest version of many Biblical books (such as the Synoptic Gospels.) Lamsa, being a Syriac-speaking Iraqi, spoke the dialect Jesus of Nazareth used to speak ever since he was a boy. This intimate knowledge of traditional Aramaic culture and language, coupled with advanced theological training in England, certainly helped Lamsa in finishing his taxing job.

In the meantime, I have decided to start reading Benjamin Graham's "Interpretation of Financial Statements" as well, to prepare myself for studies in corporate finance in law school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home