Sunday, June 12, 2005

Monthly Meeting of Friends in Hong Kong

Today I went to worship with some Friends in Hong Kong. The room we used for worship was the "David Kwok room" in the annex of St. John's (Anglican) Cathedral in Central.

It has been a great experience, and I made some new friends. One of the women present is a rising 3L student at Temple University Beasley School of Law in Philadelphia, whose home is not far from Swarthmore College, and who's spending her summer searching at HKU's faculty of law. Another Friend is a scholar in the philosophy of religion who was from Northern California who has been teaching at the Hong Kong Baptist University for 23 years as lecturer and professor. There are also some local Friends present, and one of them, Eric, is a sociologist who has published several papers in Chinese journals. I should be seeing them again, since Eric is getting married next First Day (!)

One of them, Austin Meredith, gave me his business card. It turned out that he is an inventor who has been a visiting scholar at Brown University for some time. He has been visiting Hong Kong on a yearly basis for 25 years, since he has some family members who live here. Originally from Providence, RI, he will be moving to Harvard next fall (his wife has accepted an appointment to the Radcliffe Institute,) and hopefully, we will be able to hang out again.

I also met the two Friends I met last time I was back: Julian and Margaret, and I am very happy that both of them seem to be doing very well since we last parted.

1 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger Larry Clayton said...

Hi, James. Looking over your bio I found your taste in music coincides almost exactly with mine. Odd, and very unusual in the blogging business I've found.

Hong Kong, Swarthmore: we have more in common than music. I visited Hong Kong in 1951 (with the U.S.Navy). Wife and I visited Swarthmore several times in the 90's, researching the genealogical records.

My gx grandfather came with Penn's Fleet in 1682 and helped to establish Falls Meeting in Bucks County.

Quakers? yes. We go every First Day-- to Gainesville or Ocala (FL) meeting.

Bloggers: we have a group Bible Study blog with mainly Quakers, but some other types as well.

Please visit my blog and that group blog and give me some input.

A Friend and friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home