Saturday, February 19, 2005

Great experience in Lancaster

Today I went to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, to visit Friends in the Caln Allowed Meeting, a Conservative (Wilburite) monthly meeting affiliated to Ohio Yearly Meeting of the Society of Friends.

I am very impressed by their deep spirituality. The Friend who was my host, Steven Geyer, is an English teacher who teaches at a nearby Mennonite high school. Both he and his wife Charlotte are very warm, loving and hospitable. After lunch, we went to Marie and Mike Kinch's home, to participate in meeting for worship. It was a very moving experience. Two Friends offered their heartfelt prayers and Steven made a brief vocal ministry concerning the loving of our "neighbors" and "brethren." We had a fellowship dinner afterwards. Among other Friends were Seth Hinshaw, a Quaker historian, Chip and Penny Thomas, both from Marlborough, and Terry Wallace, from Harrisburg, and Francis who drove 2.5 hours to participate in the worship. Also visiting is a history lecturer at the University of Goettingen in Germany (a native of Kentucky really), who was doing research on the relationship between Quakers and German Pietists.

I should also note that this is a Conservative (Wilburite) group of Quakers, who retain most of the customs and ways of life of earlier Friends. Plain dress (unadorned coat and broad-brimmed hat) and plain speech ("thee" instead of "you") certainly set them apart from the "world," which indulges in all her luxuries and debaucheries. Through their simple and pious lives I had a glimpse of the life of George Fox.

Finally, I should note that Friend Chip is visiting Central Philadelphia Friends tomorrow as a minister "travelling under a certificate", to admonish them to fear God, and to respect and honor our Christian roots. For many Friends in Philadelphia have lapsed into unbelief. I will be his travelling companion. There's been a long tradition of travelling ministers bringing companions with them. This is going to be a heavy burden on my part, and I hope I could grow spiritually by bearing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home