Monday, August 15, 2005

Renovare

I am thinking of forming a small spiritual formation group once I get to Harvard. It should be modelled after the ones originally introduced by "Renovare"'s founder Richard Foster. I am increasingly convinced that spiritual formation should not be treated as individual matter. Instead, Christians must bond with one another and mature spiritually by mutual encouragement. This impression has been greatly enforced by a sermon I heard the First Day before last weekend, by Anita Weber at Middletown Meeting. She noted how difficult and painful it must have been for the prophet Jeremiah to have remained solitary throughout his whole life with not a single comrade to support him but the Spirit of God. She also pointed out how fortunate Friends have been, having mechanisms such as Business Meeting, etc. to help them in discerning the Divine will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home