Thursday, September 22, 2005

Some more readings

I am currently reading a new book, Moran Man and Immoral Society, written by Reinhold Niebuhr, a prominent Neo-Orthodox Protestant theologian and public intellectual in the early and mid-20th century. It's essentially the manifesto of Christian Realism. Interestingly, Professor Niebuhr is one of the chief architects of the Just War doctrine.

In the meantime, I've also ordered Professor Charles Fried's "Contract as Promise" online, which, according to the amazon comments, is a defense of the classical liberal understanding of the nature of contracts. Since I'm taking contracts right now, it should be a thought-provocative read.

A third book that I'm looking into is Richard Nixon's "Leaders." In it Nixon analyses the strengths and weaknesses of his political contemporaries, Churchill, de Gaulle, Khrushschev, etc. It has to be a fun read since the author knew all these guys in person, and had actually fought most of 'em as adversaries (or at least recalcitrant allies...) in the international arena...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home