Friday, October 29, 2004

Letter to R. Albert Mohler

I recently read an article written by a certain R. Albert Mohler, who happens to be President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kentucky. I am very much offended by his warmongering message on his blog, especially when he hinted that all who oppose the war did so due to their anti-Christian worldview.

http://www.crosswalk.com/news/weblogs/mohler/?cal=go&adate=9%2F24%2F2003

I don't know, but the last time I looked at by Bible (last night), it seems to me that Jesus is exactly the type of "peacenik" Mr. Mohler is targeting.

So I decided to send him a message, challening his unfounded, wild accusations:

Dear Professor Mohler,

Having read some of your online articles, I must say while some of your
arguments are valid and well made, I cannot agree with many of them. Here is
one of your arguments which I feel I am obliged to challenge.

"Americans are not [yet] as secular as the Europeans. Most Americans claim to
believe in God, and the residue of the Christian worldview still informs the
American conscience. Americans--along with their president--believe in the
reality of good and evil. They also believe that evil must be confronted and,
where necessary, confronted with force."

Also, "most Christians are convinced that force must often be exercised, lest
human sinfulness be set loose."


Your are essentially right in pointing out the different worldviews of the
Americans and the Europeans, and right again in pointing out how postwar
European ideology is essentially dominated by cynical critical theorists and
existentialists (please, no more blanket terms like postmodern intellectuals!).
Furthermore, you are right in highlighting the fact that more Europeans are not
religious (at most 10% maybe?).

Nevertheless, you conclusion that the main reason Europeans did not wish to go
to war with Saddam was because they are "un-Christian" is groundless. Your
implication that all Christian must accept war against Iraq as the only
legitimate means to confront the former Iraqi regime is also without support.

If you insist that the support of (this) war be a test that divides "true"
Christians like yourself and false Christians, then you must conclude that the
Quakers, the Mennonites, the Amish and the Brethren to be anti-Christian in
their teaching, when they chose (unlike you and your denomination) to pay
attention to our Lord's command on "resist ye not evil."

Whereas I am not attacking war-supporting people as anti-Christians, you surely
are accusing religious pacifists for being un-Christian. I am a born-again
Christian, and a member of the Religious Society of Friends. I do believe that
Christ has explicitly commanded us not to resist evil with force. For they who
hold the sword shall perish with the sword.

You may disagree with me on this, and I am not sure how the Judge will judge
your and my behavior during the war on that final Day of Judgment, for both
Baptists and Quakers believe in "Bible freedom." But it would be very wrong of
you to accuse whoever chose not to support the President for his war-effort as
un-Christian. "For if you love only your friend, what reward have ye?" If you
smite he who smite you, what difference are there between you and a "publican?"
"Force must often be exercised," eh?


Best regards,
James Chang

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home